The High Country of NC offers so much and generally includes Boone, Blowing Rock, Linville, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, and other surrounding locations. One thing I love about being born and raised as a North Carolinian is our state has so much to offer and our scenic mountains are towards the top of the list for me. Here is a summary of a recent trip I took. For all the information please check out my Podcast!
- Below are things I enjoy about the High Country that can be friendly to the wallet:
- Blowing Rock. Blowing Rock is the name of the town and named after the actual Blowing Rock. Going out to see this and the wonderful views are great. It is only $7/per person and you can learn more at www.theblowingrock.com
- Near the actual Blowing Rock is Main St. in town. There are nice shops and restaurants you can frequent for lunch or dinner before or after seeing the scenic view
- Grandfather Mountain: this is one of my favorite attractions in the High Country. It is about $20/person depending on age. You are able to drive to the Mile High Bridge, experience it, and go on hiking trails. It is open most days pending weather. You can learn more at www.grandfather.com
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Taking a drive on the Parkway is a great NC experience! The winding roads, the scenic views, and the several places to stop along the parkway to get out of your car and really enjoy it. Pending weather this is a nice picnic option as well.
- Grandfather Winery: I like this winery for several reasons. Obviously their wine, but also their atmosphere. They have a stream running near their tasting room and pending nice weather you can buy a bottle and have a glass in chairs they provide by the stream. They also have heaters in a portion of the winery that is outside making it nice when the weather is a little chilly. You can learn more at www.grandfathervineyard.com
- Skiing is a great attraction to the High Country. You can call several ski lodges for rates and to learn about their snow conditions. Sugar Ski Mountain, Beech Ski Mountain, and Appalachian Ski Mountain are all nice ones to check out